Thursday, October 27, 2011

Spotted: Chango's Beads and Two-Tone Shoes by William Kennedy

Where: Q-train
Who was reading: A bony brown-haired woman in a brown quilted coat. Her mouth had a pinched look, as though she was holding back a rather sour epithet. Something in "poor taste" no doubt.
Speaking of epithets... I was tempted to vocalize a few myself at this other random woman who kept creeping into my personal space. I'm used to being caught in a crush, but she had this gargantuan mass of itchy, floaty hair that kept drifting into my face, and dandling against the exposed skin of my wrist. By the end of the ride, I was all acrawl with prickly, imaginary lice.
Licelady wasn't reading. Of course. But if she had been, I assume the book would have been "Of Mice and Mange."
Moving on, Chango's Beads
Q: Is it just me or does that cover look weirdly tall? 
A: It is not just me, it IS weirdly tall. 5.98 x 9.01in to be exact.
As in, you must be this tall to read. Recommended for ages 18 and up--according to the publisher's website. 
Could this be a ploy to lure young readers to the book by infusing it with the heady thrill of that which is forbidden. I'm going to go with yes. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment