Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spotted: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy


Where: 3-train
Who was reading: A slip of a woman with dyed black hair and dramatic, wolf-like eyes. She had the chalky pallor of one who lives among ideas rather than people or things. I found myself wanting to wander through her thoughts.
According to Tolstoy himself: This novel is “not a novel, even less is it a poem, and still less an historical chronicle."
"Warlock and Peace": Possible title for the Quirk Books spoof (ala Android Karenina). This could be the cover. 

1 comment:

  1. This is my second time reading "War and Peace" and, although I am only a couple hundred pages into it, I find it new and refreshing compared to the other translation I read. I have read and enjoyed other translations by Pevear and Volokhonsky and their "War and Peace" is equally as fresh. I recommend it to anyone seeking an appreciation of Tolstoy.

    ReplyDelete