Monday, December 20, 2010

Spotted: Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Where: N-train
Who was reading: A young man in a houndstooth scarf and beat-up Chuck Taylors. The laces on his right shoe were so threadbare they were as skinny as headphone cords.
Speaking of Chucks: I just watched this video, and it is so creepy! But I can't put my finger on why. Is the slow, deliberate pace? The knife? The softly undulating shadows? The heavy breathing? And what is the filmmaker trying to say exactly?
The book contains: Sedaris shorts both new and old, jumbled together and wrapped up in shiny holiday packaging, not unlike terrible chocolates in an advent calendar. 
One story, entitled "Dinah, the Christmas Whore": calls to mind this now defunct (I think?) blog. But the resemblance doesn't really carry beyond the title.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta take issue with the concept that Advent calendar chocolates are "jumbled" together. The essence of Advent calendar chocolates is that they are compartmentalized by date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to unweave rainbows, WIlliam, but behind all that pretty cardboard, an advent calendar is just as confused as any other box of chocolate. What is an angel doing next to a teddy bear I ask you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I suppose the result of removing a dimension from a two-dimensional object does increase its "jumble."

    ReplyDelete