Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Spotted: Jewish Mysticism: An Introduction to the Kabbalah by J. Abelson

Where: R-train
Who was reading: A twenty-something guy with lively, flickering eyes, wearing a voluminous black coat and skinny, skinny jeans. He stood alert and was kind enough to give directions to some strangers who were unfamiliar with the South Slope area of Brooklyn. Actually, the skinniness of his jeans made me wonder how familiar he was with South Slope himself.
Was his interest in Kabbalah spiritual or academic? This is what I found myself contemplating as I observed him. I'd put my money on 'academic', but who knows? It's rarely safe to make assumptions when it comes to religion.
Even more importantly, would he date a goy? Next time I'll be sure to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment